Does Alaska Airlines Allow Travel with Pets?
Yes, Alaska Airlines allows passengers to travel with their pets on board and as checked baggage, provided they meet the airline’s pet policy and guidelines. If you have a furry friend that you want to take along onboard, Alaska Airlines pet travel Policy can accept dogs or cats with some acceptance conditions. Whether you want to have your pet in the cabin or want to check them in, certain rules and regulations apply.
To make sure your four-legged or pawed friends don’t feel left out, understand the Alaska airline’s pet policy and make your pet’s reservations.
Know more about Alaska Airlines’ pet travel requirements and guidelines on their official website or read more to understand the airline’s pet travel needs.
Overview of the Alaska Airlines pet policy
Are you planning to travel with your furry friend on Alaska Airlines? If yes, it is important to be aware of the Alaska Airlines domestic pet policy to ensure a smooth experience for both you and your pet. In addition to the domestic pet policy, if you are planning to take your pet on an international flight, you will need to adhere to some additional rules.
To ensure a hassle-free journey, it is essential to understand the carrier and health certificate requirements, breed restrictions, and any destination-specific regulations. Preparing in advance and gathering all the necessary information will help you and your pet have a comfortable journey.
What are the Pet Travel Terms and Conditions on Alaska Airlines?
If you are adamant about bringing pets on your flight, check out the following conditions set by Alaska Airlines:
- Pets that are able to fit under the seat are eligible to travel in the pet carrier.
- Moreover, large animals can fly in the climate-controlled baggage compartment.
- Pets going to Hawaii or an international trip have some additional requirements.
- Your pet should be in the kennel throughout the journey. Ensure to check out the Alaska Airlines pet carrier size limitations to avoid any hassle in the future.
- If you are traveling with a service animal, check out the eligibility, and additional requirements.
- Moreover, only cats and dogs are allowed to most international destinations. If you are going to Mexico from any international destination, you can fly with only dogs or cats. Moreover, cargo service is not permitted to or from Mexico.
- Check out the cargo cost to transfer your pet in cargo. Moreover, there will be perfect cargo temperature for smooth travel for your pet.
- To travel with emotional support animals, explore the Alaska Airlines pet policy for emotional support animals.
- Moreover, you can check out the pet travel reviews on Reddit to make the decision accordingly.
What is the Alaska Airlines pet policy for travel in the aircraft cabin?
Alaska Airlines understands how much your furry friend means to you. Therefore, it allows small pets to travel in the cabin, subject to availability. To book a spot for your lovely pet, simply start a chat with the airline or call 1-800-252-7522.
Please note that certain restrictions and fees may apply to make any arrangements for pet travel. Check the guidelines ahead before booking pets as in-cabin luggage.
Alaska Airlines pet policy in cabin
Subject to availability, small pets can travel in the cabin. To book a spot for your lovely pet, you need to start the chat or call the airline.
Guidelines for pets in the cabin
- To travel in the cabin, your pet has to be 18 years old.
- Pets can travel in the cabin for a fee of $100.
- Passengers with pets can’t sit on bulkhead row and emergency exit row seats.
- Moreover, your pet counts towards the carry-on baggage allowance. In addition to the pet carrier, you can bring a personal item.
- Alaska Airlines allows a total of 8 pet carriers in the main cabin and a total of 3 pet carriers in the First Class.
- In the main cabin, only rabbits, cats, dogs, and household birds are permitted.
- Moreover, the pet should stay in the kennel throughout, including during takeoff and landing.
- For pet travel to Hawaii and any international destination, additional documentation is needed. Ensure to check out the Alaska Airlines health and vaccination requirements for a peaceful journey.
Pet kennel requirements in the cabin
The pets should stay comfortable in the pet carrier. Place the pet kennel under the seat. The following are the size limitations of the pet carrier in the cabin.
|Hard-sided||50||17″ x 11″ x 7.5″|
|Soft-sided||50||17″ x 11″ x 9.5″|
For a comfortable journey, the pet carrier must-
- Comply with the mentioned dimensions
- Be leak-proof
- Have proper air ventilation
- Be free of breaks, cracks, and tears
- Be escape-proof
Dial Alaska Airlines pet reservations phone number, and book the pet travel with ease.
Can I Bring Pets in the baggage compartment?
Yes, you can bring your pets as checked luggage with Alaska Airlines. Most domesticated pets can travel in climate-controlled cargo and baggage compartments for a fee of $150 for bookings made after May 1. The fee will be $100 if the booking has been made through April 30.
Pets who are traveling with military dependents on travel orders can travel with a minimal $100 fee.
Guidelines for pets in the baggage compartment
- You have to travel on the same flight to your destination. However, you can transfer your pet in the cargo if you are not willing to take the journey.
- As per the Alaska Airlines pet policy, the combined weight of the pet and the kennel must not exceed 150 lbs.
- To take your pet in the baggage compartments, it must be 8 weeks old and weaned.
- Each pet needs a health certificate to travel in the baggage compartment. Moreover, the certificate should be issued by a licensed veterinarian.
- Ensure not to give food or water before 4 hours of check-in.
- Check-in at least 2 hours before departure on the day of travel.
What are the Pet carrier guidelines for Checked Pets?
The pet carrier should be large so that your pet can lie or stand comfortably in it. Moreover, no body part should be protruding outside the pet kennel. Let’s have a look at the pet carrier dimension requirement.
- Attach the water and food to the pet kennel. The flight attendants will love to feed your lovely pet during the flight.
- The pet cage should be constructed of solid material for a comfortable stay for your pet.
- Moreover, the pet carrier must be free of leaks and have proper ventilation.
|Size of the animal||Carrier size||Dimensions (LxWxH)|
|Extra small||100||21″ x 16″ x 15″|
|Small||200||27″ x 20″ x 19″|
|Medium||300||32″ x 22″ x 23″|
|Large||400||36″ X 24″ x 26″|
|Extra large||500||40″ x 27″ x 30″|
Are there any Breed restrictions on Alaska Airlines Pet Travel?
Please note that Brachycephalic cats and dogs are not allowed in the baggage compartment. These animals are short-nosed animals, and they have abnormalities that can cause breathing problems in them. Their condition can even worsen with the stress related to flying.
Alaska Airlines still allows Brachycephalic dogs and cats in the cabin with the flyer. The only condition is that the pet carrier must fit under the seat. Baggage compartment restrictions can apply to the following breeds.
- Cats – Himalayan, Burmese, Persian, Exotic Shorthair,
- Dogs – American Pit Bull, Chow Chow, Boston Terrier, Japanese Pug, Shih Tzu, Japanese Boxer, American Staffordshire Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Bulldog, Mastiff (All Breeds), Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Japanese Spaniel, Dutch Pug, English Toy Spaniel, Chow Chow.
How to book a pet on Alaska Airlines?
To book pet travel on Alaska Airlines, you need to connect with the airline agents. Alaska representatives are helpful, and they will assist you without any delay. Ensure to go through the Alaska Airlines pet policy for a hassle-free trip with your pet. Check out the following steps to book pet travel on Alaska Airlines.
- Go to the official Alaska Airlines website to confirm the booking of a passenger.
- Follow the general booking step to get their reservation done in the snap of a finger.
- Once your booking is confirmed, get in touch with the Alaska travel experts.
- Either call the airline experts or chat with representatives to book a spot for your furry kid.
For any changes in your booking, use the Alaska Airlines manage booking option. You can make meal requests, seat reservations, etc, for yourself, not the pet. If you want to cancel a pet booking, consult the airline representative.
How to prepare your pet for travel?
Want to have a fantastic journey with your pet? Make sure to prepare your pet in advance so they can have an amazing experience in the air. However, the airline will take care of your pet throughout the flight, but you must also be prepared in advance. Here are some of the tips to prepare your pet for the flight.
- It is important to give your pet a pre-flight workout. It will help your fur buddy stay refreshed throughout the journey.
- Allow yourself some extra time at the check-in counter.
- Moreover, it is essential to bring pet identification for a smooth check-in and travel.
- Don’t overfeed your pet before the flight.
- Some airports have specific requirements for checking in their pets. Therefore, you need to check out all the needs in advance to avoid any ado.
- Acclimate your pet to the pet kennel prior to the day of travel.
Summing it up
This comprehensive blog has everything you need to know about pet travel with Alaska Airlines. Plan a trip with your furry friend in the air, and ensure to have the best time in the air. Moreover, you can connect with the airline executives at any time if you have any queries regarding the pet policy of Alaska. The Alaska representatives will help you instantly.