Can I Send My 13-Year-Old on a United Flight Alone?
Every parent wishes safety for their children, especially when they are planning a trip for them alone. Air travel is a big deal even for adults, so sending a minor onboard requires a lot of precaution. The United Airlines unaccompanied minor service is an excellent choice for concerned parents. The airline has this mandatory service for any young traveler within 5-14 years traveling without a parent/guardian/accompanying adult 14 years or older. United Airlines staff takes care of everything from the moment you enter the airport gate with your child to the time he leaves the airport with a designated adult assigned by you. To understand the United Airlines policy for unaccompanied minors in detail, you can read the subsections below carefully before booking a flight for them.
How Does United Unaccompanied Minor Policy Work?
When you plan air travel for your minor kids alone on United Airlines, remember that there are some age restrictions. Not every age group of minors can fly without an accompanying adult on the airline. If you want to book their flights under the unaccompanied minor program, know the United Airlines age restrictions for young flyers alone. Let’s take a look at the details:
- Children from 0 to 5 years can never travel alone without any parental supervision.
- Any child from age 5 to 14 can fly alone under the United unaccompanied minor service for a fee.
- Young travelers between the ages of 15-17 years can travel as adults therefore taking unaccompanied minor service is optional for them.
- Although the 15-17 age group can travel as adults, they can not travel as a guardian or accompanying adults for children between 5 and 14.
- Only an adult age 18 or older can accompany the 5-14 age group to let them fly without unaccompanied minor service.
So, if your kids are flying alone, do not be scared. Just read through the policy and process by United Airlines and let them travel safely. To know more, let’s continue to the next part.
Are Unaccompanied Minors Allowed on Domestic or International United Flights?
Yes. United Airlines allows unaccompanied minors on both domestic and international flights. Domestic travel does not require much, but for international flights, there are general requirements. You must check the below points before planning the journeys for your minor kids alone.
Minors on Domestic Flights
Young flyers on domestic trips can travel without a parent or guardian under the United unaccompanied minor travel policy. The airline will ensure your child’s safety and comfort throughout. They won’t need any additional documents except for your consent form, and you can easily send them on any domestic flight operated by United Airlines. (The flight must be non-stop)
Minors on International Flights
You need to fill up an unaccompanied minor form to send your kids on international travel with United Airlines alone. The airline also says that only non-stop flights will accommodate young travelers flying alone. If you are having international flights, remember to keep additional travel documents and visas with your child to avoid any troubles.
Once you know which flights allow unaccompanied minors to travel with United Airlines, you are ready to make the preparations.
How To Prepare for a Young Traveler’s Flight Alone with United?
If you are requesting the unaccompanied minor service, you can follow a simple process to book their flights. To prepare, first, take all the documents with you and continue to follow these steps:
- Log in to the official website of United Airlines.
- Now, choose the minor tickets on the website by selecting the right age group.
- While booking, remember to provide the contact information of the person dropping off and picking up the child. (You can always call United before scheduled departure to make changes to this information.0
Confirm your booking by paying the ticket fare along with the unaccompanied minor charge(refer to below). The airline will pick the seat for your children. The seat selection for unaccompanied minors is not possible from your end because the airline wants to take full care of them when they are onboard. So you can check your emails within 72 hours of the booking completion for seat information.
What do you Need to Be Properly Ready for the Trip?
To become properly prepared for the trip, after making a booking, keep these basic things in check:
- Note down your phone number, the contact number of the adult meeting at the destination, and any additional contact numbers they might need.
- Charge your kids’ tablet or phone in full percentage for the situation where their seats do not have a power outlet.
- Tell your kids to wait on the plan unless a United Airlines team member walks with them while deplaning.
- International travel for kids is not possible unless you fill up the form before going through customs.
Write down all the information on the United Airlines unaccompanied minor form before you go through customers. Now, you are ready to send your child to the airport.
How does United Airlines Handle Unaccompanied Minors at the Airport?
When you are at the airport with your kid, make sure to get them on the plane without a hassle. The airline needs you to reach the airport at least 30 minutes before the requested minimum check-in. After that, you can check the steps below:
United Airlines Unaccompanied minor check-in
The first thing after arriving at the departure airport is to check-in for your minor. Every child traveling alone has to check-in at the airport ticket counter only. The airline will check the contact information, verify all the documents, and then tie a wristband for them to easily recognize them onboard. The staff will also provide the envelope of travel documents to the child.
Security Check for Minors
For children flying from an airport in the USA, you will get a gate pass to enter with them to the gate. Any child with international United Airlines flight booking will be escorted by an agent. You will meet this person at the ticket counter, who will take the child from there.
Unaccompanied Minors Boarding United Planes
The United Airlines staff member will help your child board the plane. Remember to remain at the airport unless your child’s flight departs from the airport. This is necessary no matter whether you went along with security or not. The children are always first to board when flying alone as they meet the pilots and settle in their seats.
How much is the United Airlines unaccompanied Minors fee?
If your child is traveling unaccompanied, you must pay an extra charge as the fee for their travel and to ensure their total care throughout the flight. The United Airlines unaccompanied minor fee varies based on the number of children and the type of trip. Here are the details:
|No. of Kids together||One-way Charge||Round-trip Fees|
|1 or 2||$150||$300|
|3 to 4||2 X $150||2 X $ 600|
|5 or 6||$450||$900|
On a simple note, you need to pay a simple $150 one-way fee for one or two children traveling under the same reservation as unaccompanied minors on United Airlines.
What services do Unaccompanied Minors Get on a United Flight?
Once your minor is onboard with United Airlines, rest assured. The airline will offer them plenty of services to make their travel more memorable. Here are some of the benefits:
- They get dedicated flight attendants who will check on the children throughout.
- If the children need anything, they can hit the call button to ask for them.
- The airline offers a free snack to all unaccompanied children.
- You can also pack snacks for them which meet TSA guidelines.
- Every flight has different entertainment options for kids.
- There are free kids’ shows & some movies on the United app.
In short, the flights will be amazing as long as you comply with the airline’s rules for unaccompanied children travel.
Are there any instructions for their Arrival?
When the United unaccompanied minors arrive at the airport, they need to wait for the agent to come and get them off the plane. These agents will take the kids to the designated pick-up person whose information you already provide during booking.
- For domestic flights, get a gate pass from the ticket counter for security passage and pick up the kids at the arrival gate.
- Remember to reach the airport 30 minutes before arrival for better transitions.
- For children going through customs from international travel, you can wait at the arrival area.
Show your ID and sign the form for release to pick up your child before you leave the airport with them. Connect with United Airlines customer service beforehand in case of any problems or to confirm the process.
If you need additional information for United Airlines unaccompanied minors, you can check with the Tripohlz team and get your answers. The airline also offers you free customer service if you have any donuts, but we let you skip all the wait.