How do I Book Student Fares on Lufthansa at a Discount?
Flying out of the US? You can travel from the USA to Europe, Africa, India, the Middle East, etc., under Lufthansa Student Discount fares. Yes, the airline offers you such fare options if you are a student traveling with them from the USA on any one-way or return flight.
Students traveling abroad often face trouble managing their flight expenses, and that’s what Lufthansa tries to solve with its Student discount program- GenerationFly. So, if you are curious about how much discount you can get from Lufthansa Airlines, and what is their policy on student fares, read on till the end.
Note: Student fares are only available to and from selected countries.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Lufthansa’s Student Discount?
If you want to book a student fare with Lufthansa and get a flight discount, you should be eligible for it. These are the two factors that determine your eligibility:
- You should be at least 16 years or above.
- You must have proof of enrollment in an institute for higher education.
If you want to proceed, you can verify your student status with Lufthansa Airlines and book your flights. Check the sections below to see how you can book without hassles.
How do you Book Lufthansa Student fares?
If you wish to book flights with student fares on Lufthansa Airlines, the steps are simple. You can first verify that you are a student, then proceed to select your desired itinerary from the provided links on the airline’s official website. Let’s study these steps in further detail:
Go to Verify Your Student Status
The first thing you can do to book a flight with student fares is to prove that you are a student. As long as you have enrolled in any university or institution of higher education, you can provide your relevant identification to prove it. Here are the steps you can follow:
- Go to the Lufthansa website (https://www.lufthansa.com/).
- Find the Student fares section.
- Click on the Book Student fares link of your specific country.
- Now, click on the Verify Student Status link.
- Fill up the form that pops up with proper information.
- All the fields of the form are necessary to fill
- First and Last name
- Country of Study
- Email (Student email preferred)
- Again, click the Verify My Student Status button.
- Sign in using your school credentials through the web portal.
- There, you can complete the verification.
After these steps, you can proceed to the booking section. Let’s find out how the booking process will work further!
Book Your Flights
After you verify your student status with Lufthansa, the same page that opened earlier will reload and you can search and book your desired flights. Here are the details:
- Once the student fares page opens the booking section, start the process.
- Enter your departure and arrival details.
- Provide other necessary flight information.
- Confirm your selection.
- Proceed to the payment page.
- Complete the booking process.
Remember that you can only get these student fares through the links for a specific country and are clearly identified as “Student.” You can not book such tickets directly from the website’s homepage or mobile application.
In case there are any issues while verifying your identity as a student, you can email [email protected] with your booking details and get a Lufthansa Airlines flight ticket. You can also call the airline’s team directly for any assistance you may need.
Are Student Fares Available for All the Destinations Served on Lufthansa?
No, Lufthansa Airlines student discount fares are only available from selected countries of origin to travel to a limited number of destinations. Major origin and destinations are mentioned in the table below:
|Flight with Student Fares From
|To Lufthansa Destination
|Europe, USA, Canada
|Europe, USA, Canada
|China, Korea, Hong Kong, India, Singapore, Thailand
|Europe, Middle East, Africa, India
If you are traveling from and to the above-mentioned locations, you may be eligible to avail student fares depending on your eligibility. Also, you can only book your flights with the available links on the Lufthansa website to get student discounts.
How Much is the Lufthansa Student Baggage Allowance?
If you are a student with Lufthansa Airlines GenerationFly benefit, aka student fares, you can get an extra baggage allowance for each flight. A small cabin suitcase with a weight of no more than 8 kg is for all customers, including a personal item allowance. However, this isn’t it. Every student traveling from the countries that allow student fares can bring 2 pieces of checked baggage with 23 kg weight each. However, those traveling from the USA can only bring 1 bag with a maximum weight of 23 kg with them.
Apart from this, students who are flying from France to any destination within Europe are also allowed only 1 bag of 23 kg weight with them. Remember that it is the maximum allowed limit for each student traveling with Lufthansa under special discounts.
What are the Benefits of Lufthansa Student Fares?
Lufthansa Airlines offers students ample benefits with their GenerationFly benefits. Here are some of the major perks that come along with student fares:
Save, Save, and Save More
You can enjoy extra discounts with Lufthansa Airlines through its student fares, enjoying extra savings every time you book.
Never Compromise with baggage
Lufthansa saves you from cutting on luggage you bring along with a generous allowance of 2 bags, 23 kg each, on flights from most of the locations.
Cancel Flights with Peace of Mind
Every student fare comes with a refund option. So, you can grab a discount from Lufthansa Airlines and also a refund upon cancellation. It’s a win-win both ways.
Rebook with Confidence
Once you have canceled a flight, rebooking comes with great pressure. But on Lufthansa student fares, customers can rebook their flights with confidence.
Terms and Conditions for Lufthansa Airlines Student Discounts
GenerationFly is a Lufthansa microsite, and all the travel conditions that apply to general fares also apply to student fares. However, here are the additional terms and conditions you should follow:
- Your travel should originate from one of the eligible countries listed above.
- Only full-time students in a proper educational institution with the age of at least 16 years and a valid identification can be eligible.
- There are two main IDs that Lufthansa will accept:
- For Student Passengers: an ID card issued by a valid educational institution or an ISIC card provided by the college or university of the country.
- For Youth passengers: A Valid IYIC Card (Go 25)
- There is a minimum stay requirement that you must follow.
- If you cancel a flight before departure, there is a $300 fee. However, no refund is possible in case of a No-Show or cancellation after departure.
- Special cases such as death or medical emergencies will provide full refunds.
- Once a fare is selected, student fares are clearly labeled as “Economy Student” on the following screen.
- The airline will also ask for special permissions which are necessary to proceed with the booking.
You have to pay any applicable taxes, fees, or any underlying charge which airline or the government will impose. So, make sure to follow these all to be eligible for flying as a student.
Customers can fly as students as long as they fulfill the above criteria, and verify their identity as a student. So, if you are planning to go abroad for studies, make your plans right away. You can only choose the listed country of origin for the eligible destinations. For more details, you can call Lufthansa Airlines and get in touch with their customer service team. They’ll help you arrange your fares.