Can Young Children Travel as Unaccompanied Minors with Hawaiian Airlines?
Yes, if your child is between the ages of 5 and 17, they can travel as unaccompanied minors without any parental supervision on Hawaiian Airlines flights. You can book them under the Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor program and fill out a form with their details to take benefit of the special service. As long as your kid is more than 5 years of age, he can travel with this service for a small fee.
The airline allows kids on both domestic and international flights, but there are age restrictions for each. If you follow the age restrictions to book flight tickets for young travelers, they can travel without any adults accompanying them.
Although kids traveling alone by air is a concern, Hawaiian Airlines makes sure that you don’t feel concerned at all. The Hawaiian unaccompanied minor policy allows customers to book travel for minors and also ensures that they are well taken care of throughout the flight. To understand all the details about booking flights for children traveling alone and Hawaiian Airlines’ policy, read more.
Who is Considered an Unaccompanied Minor on Hawaiian Airlines?
A child will be considered an unaccompanied minor on a Hawaiian Airlines flight when he/she is:
- Between the ages of 5 and 11 years
- Traveling on a domestic flight without a companion at least 15 years old in the same cabin.
- Traveling on an international flight in the same cabin without a companion at least 18 years old.
In addition, the Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor policy states that any child below 5 years of age can not travel without an adult with him on the same flight.
What are Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor age restrictions?
When you are planning a booking for unaccompanied minors on Hawaiian Airlines, you must follow their age restrictions. The airline has set up age requirements for unaccompanied passengers based on the destination they are traveling to.
Domestic Flights within the State of Hawaii and/or North America
If your child is traveling within Hawaii state or to/from Hawaii to North America, here are the age rules by Hawaiian Airlines:
- Anyone above 12 years old can travel alone without any issues.
- Children between the ages of 5 and 11 can travel with a companion at least 15 years old or older.
Moreover, the 5 to 11-year-olds should be on the same flight and in the same compartment as their accompanying adult.
International Hawaiian Airlines Flights
For international flights, Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor rules for age requirement are as follows:
- Children between 12 and 18 years old need additional documentation to travel alone or with one parent.
- International flights do not accept children between 5 and 11 years traveling alone.
- Anyone below 12 years of age must have a companion aged 18 years or older on0 the same flight and same compartment.
Although there are restrictions on age based on destinations for unaccompanied minors who travel on Hawaiian Airlines, they can travel in any cabin they want. From small economy cabins to first and business class, Hawaiian Airlines will accept unaccompanied children on any travel cabin.
How Do I Book Unaccompanied Minors on Hawaiian Airlines?
In order to book a flight for your children alone, you need to fill out the Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor form. After that, you can book the ticket with the help of an agent at their customer service team. You need to submit this form when you check-in at the airport. Let’s find out the basic information about booking your unaccompanied minors with the airline:
Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Booking Steps:
- Open the official website and choose the trip you want for your child.
- If your child is between the age of 5 and 11, select the children(max 2) option in the passenger section when prompted.
- After that, continue to select a flight for your child.
- Enter his personal information and your contact information below.
- Continue to the payment page and pay for your booking.
Remember that if at any point there is an error or you think you need assistance, you can call the Hawaiian Airlines customer service team and inform them about the unaccompanied minor booking. Tell him your requirements with Hawaiian Airlines, and share the pdf of the unaccompanied minor form with him if he asks. Then, prepare for travel.
How to Prepare for Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Travel?
To prepare for the travel of your unaccompanied minor on Hawaiian Airlines, you need first to book the flight. After that, prepare all the documents, fill up a form, check the rules, and get ready to reach the airport with proper instructions.
What are the Documents necessary for unaccompanied minors?
- ID proof and age proof of child. (Birth Certificate and passport works).
- A photo ID with a signed document copy from the parent guardian for unaccompanied minor travel.
- An unexpired and valid government ID of the designated adult for unaccompanied minor pick up.
- The unaccompanied minor form.
- A secondary pick-up of personal details.
After that, you must check the airline rules under the unaccompanied minor program to get better service to your little ones on the plane.
Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Travel Rules
- If there is a chance of diversion or delay, Hawaiian Airlines either refuses or changes the travel schedule for Unaccompanied Minors.
- Hawaiian Airlines does not accept minors on flights between 9 PM and 5 AM unless
- The departure is from Honolulu, Hawaii, and
- It is the only flight that goes to the destination.
- Unaccompanied Minors can not fly on a route with connecting flights as the last flight for the day.
- The airline also refuses to accept unaccompanied minors on connecting flights for over two hours time and less than one hour.(there are some exceptions)
- Minors can not travel unaccompanied on connections on airlines other than Hawaiian or its Ohana service.
- Extra Comfort seats do not accommodate unaccompanied minors.
How Much are the Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fees?
To book unaccompanied minors, you must pay the whole base fare of their ticket route and a small fee for air travel as minors without an accompanying adult. Here is the fee break-up:
|Age (years)st birthday||Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor service||Travel Route||Fees and Charges|
|1 – 4||Not Permitted||N/A||N/A|
|5 – 11||Required||Within the State of Hawaii (non-stop)||USD $35.00 per flight segment*|
|Between North America and Hawaii (non-stop)||USD $100.00 per flight segment*|
|12 – 17||Optional (with fee)||State of Hawaii (non-stop)||$35 each segment|
|Between North America and Hawaii (non-stop)||$100 each segment|
If you have up to two (2) children aged between 5 and 11 years old and they share the same drop-off and pick-up information, you can pay a single fee for their travel. However, if more than two children from the same family are traveling together, you will need to pay for each additional child separately. Please note that fees must be paid by a parent or responsible adult during check-in.
Hawaiian Airlines- Airport Drop-off and Pickup for Unaccompanied Minors
When entrusting your children to Hawaiian Airlines, follow these steps for a smooth and secure beginning and end to their journey. If your child is an Unaccompanied Minor between 5 and 11 years old, a parent or responsible adult must:
- Bring them to the airport
- Complete the required documentation for unaccompanied minors
- Provide the name, phone number, and address of the person meeting the child at their destination
- Accompany the child to the departing flight’s gate and remain there until departure
Remember that, if there is an issue with the flight timings or you are not sure what services the airline will offer onboard, you can check your information in My trips. Use Hawaiian Airlines manage booking to add any extras or remove a specific service.
When picking up your child, please:
- Collect them at the designated area of the destination airport
- Arrive at least 90 minutes prior to the flight’s arrival if gate passes are available at your pickup airport
The person meeting the child must be listed on the unaccompanied minor form submitted at the time of departure. Only individuals named on the document will be allowed to collect the child. Download and fill up the Unaccompanied Minor form and give it to the Hawaiian Airlines agent upon check-in.
Can I Book a Hawaiian Airlines First Class Ticket for my Kid?
Of course. You can book your minor kids to travel alone on Hawaiian Airlines flights in coach or first-class cabins. However, you need to clear the associated fare meant for first-class seats in addition to the unaccompanied minor fee.
According to Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied Minor travel policy, you can not book your kids to travel alone on Extra Comfort cabins, but first class travel is possible. Though the airline recommends all minors to be seated in the same section of the plane, you can book your child in First class given that you clear all the associated fees.
You can show the Hawaiian Airlines unaccompanied minor form to the airport check-in desk. Remember that only gate check-in is possible. So, complete the formalities and drop[ your child accordingly. If you want more information, connect with a live person at Hawaiian Airlines, or connect with Tripohlz to know your answers.