Does Spirit Allow unaccompanied minors on Flights?
Times require you to send your precious child alone on a plane, and you can’t avoid it. If you are in a situation where your dear kids need to travel alone on flights, we recommend flying Spirit Airlines. The ultra-low-cost air carrier is well-known for its cheaper flight fares and exceptional offers. However, not many people know about Spirit unaccompanied minor service. This special service allows young children to fly without a guardian/parents on domestic flights. Any child below 18 years can fly with Spirit Airlines under the service, with some exceptions. To know more about the airline’s rules for unaccompanied minors, you can read further and book flights for your children traveling alone.
What age can a child fly alone on Spirit Airlines?
For any Spirit Airlines direct and domestic flights, children above 4 years and below 18 years of age can fly without a parent or guardian’s supervision. Spirit Airlines unaccompanied minor policy applies to the children who wish to travel without an adult passenger. In short, if a child is between 5 years to 17 years, he can fly with Spirit Airlines for a certain fee.
|Child’s Age||0-4 years||5-14 years||15-17 years|
|Cam Travel Alone?||No||Yes||Yes|
|Need an accompanying passenger 15 or older?||Yes||No||No|
|Unaccompanied minor service Necessary?||N/A||Yes||Optional|
|Allowed on Domestic Flights?||N/A||Yes||Yes|
|Allowed on International Flights?||N/A||No||Yes without UM service|
|Direct Flights booking?||N/A||Yes||Only without UM service|
|Can Fly Connections?||N/A||No||If not flying as a minor.|
|Is plane Change allowed?||N/A||No||Yes without UM service|
|Stopover?||N/A||No,||Only without UM service|
|Layover?||N/A||No||If not flying as minor.|
|Unaccompanied minor fee?||N/A||$150/way||$150?way|
These are the age restrictions for unaccompanied minors. In short, the Spirit Airlines unaccompanied minor program is necessary for children between ages 5 and 14. Parents of anyone between 15 to 17 years of age can opt for this service if they need it. The airline will not allow 4 years or younger children to fly without an accompanying adult who is at least 15 years old.
How to Book Flights for Unaccompanied Minors on Spirit Airlines?
Spirit Airlines lets you book unaccompanied minors directly from the official website. You can even call the airline in advance via Spirit Airlines unaccompanied minor phone number an request a booking. The process of reservation is smooth and simple. You can book a normal flight as you do by providing information on the booking console and continue as the on-screen instructions say.
You do not need to fill a separate unaccompanied minor form on Spirit Airlines at first. However, you may specify that the booking is for a minor. So, to book your flights, follow these steps:
- Go to the official website.
- Start by entering necessary information.
- Choose Passenger type as Child between 0-17 years.
- Confirm the unaccompanied minor fee conditions.
- Continue to choose the flights.
- Select one and enter the child’s details.
- Book the ticket by making payments
You can also call Spirit Airlines directly to confirm the bookings for them, Do not forget to check the Spirit unaccompanied minor rules before processing the final ticket confirmation. The airline will make sure your child feels safe and happy throughout the flight.
How much is Spirit Airlines unaccompanied minor fee?
Spirit Airlines charges a nonrefundable $150 fee each way for sending unaccompanied minors between ages 5 and 14 on their flights without an accompanying adult. So, if you wish to book a service for them to travel alone without supervision, you need to pay this amount.
Any children between 15 and 17, if need to request this service, which is optional in their case, must also pay this fee amount to book their flights. In other words, under the unaccompanied minor policy, Spirit Airlines does charge for them to fly alone without a parent or guardian. This $150 charge also includes the cost for snacks and beverages that the airline may provide your child onboard.
What documents Do you need to book Spirit Unaccompanied Minor?
If you are booking a flight for unaccompanied minors with Spirit Airlines, know that it reviews all the documents carefully. Here are the basic documents that you may need for your child’s convenient air travel alone.
- A birth certificate or passport is usually required to establish the child’s age.
- Spirit Airlines also requires a completed unaccompanied minor form. This form typically needs to be filled out and signed by the child’s parent or legal guardian. It includes important information such as the child’s name, contact details of the parent/guardian dropping off and picking up the child, and any special instructions or requests.
- Depending on the child’s age, you may require an additional form of identification, such as a student ID card or a state-issued ID card.
- The airline also asks for booking confirmation or reservation number for the child’s flight.
- Provide the contact details of the person who will be picking up the child at the destination airport. This person must present their identification when collecting the child.
You can visit Spirit’s official website, contact their customer service, or consult their specific guidelines for unaccompanied minors for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
What are the Rules for Spirit Unaccompanied Minors?
When booking unaccompanied minor flights, there are certain rules and guidelines to consider. Here are the general procedures for drop-off, pick-up, and airport conditions for unaccompanied minors, explained in plain language:
Booking the Flight
- When booking the flight, you need to inform the airline that your child will be traveling as an unaccompanied minor.
- Airlines typically have specific age restrictions for unaccompanied minors, so make sure your child meets the minimum age requirement.
- The airline will also ask you to pay an additional $150 as fee for the unaccompanied minor service.
Drop-off at the Airport:
- On the day of departure, accompany your child to the airport.
- Plan to arrive early, as there may be additional paperwork or procedures to complete.
- Remain at the airport unless the flight takes off.
- Inform the pick-up person the estimated arrival times and tell them to arrive there on time.
- The airline staff will guide you through the process and provide instructions on where to take your child.
Boarding the Flight:
- Once at the airport, the airline staff will assist your child through the check-in process.
- The staff will give your child a special identification badge or tag to wear throughout the journey.
- Usually, Spirit Airlines child policy allows unaccompanied minors to board first.
- A designated member of the airline will guide the children to their respective seats.
- They will also notify the flight crew that your child is an unaccompanied minor.
During the Flight
- The flight attendants will keep an eye on your child throughout the flight.
- They will provide any necessary assistance, answer questions, and ensure your child is comfortable and safe.
Arrival and Pick-up at the Destination:
- Upon arrival at the destination airport, your child will be escorted off the plane by airline staff.
- An authorized person (usually specified during the booking process) will need to be present at the destination airport to pick up your child.
- The authorized person must show their identification to confirm their identity and sign any required paperwork.
- The airline staff will release your child into the care of the authorized pick-up person.
Finally, you can look forward to the best journey of your child and see them reaching their destination at ease. You can even use the manage booking service on Spirit Airlines for adding any specific services for your unaccompanied child for a fee. The airline will provide it to them when onboard
This is how you can book flights for your children under Spirit unaccompanied minor service. You can also check further details with Tripohlz team experts or directly visit the airline’s official website to know more information