How Do I Fly American Airlines with My Pet Dog or Cat?
Yes, you can carry your dear pets with you on an American Airlines flight in 2023. The airline accepts pets as carry-on or cargo based on their breed and size. If you have furry pets, for example, a cat or a dog, you can easily carry them as hand baggage after meeting American Airlines pet policy requirements. The airline even accepts pets as checked luggage, limited to active-duty U.S. Military members and U.S. State Department Foreign Service personnel on official orders.
So, if you can not put your heart into leaving your dearest pets alone while you go on a vacation, bring them together on American Airlines flights. To understand the specific pet travel requirements and guidelines for bringing pets on board with AA, read more.
American Airlines Pet Travel- Rules & Guidelines
In order to make the travel of the pets easy and comfortable, the airline has laid down the policy. Furthermore, it is a flexible policy and makes traveling with pets effortless. Go through the information below and find out the rules and regulations associated with it and have a memorable trip with your furry friend.
American Airlines In-Cabin Pet Policy
- The small breeds of cats and dogs can fly in the cabin. Furthermore, the age of the pet, in this case, should be at least 8 weeks old.
- Moreover, the carrier should have a waterproof bottom, and it should have enough space for the pet to turn around and stand.
- The maximum size of the carrier should be 19in x 13in x 9 inches. Also, the edges should be soft-sided.
- In case any individual has any doubts, they can avail of the American Airlines customer service and contact the travel team for assistance.
- For the in-cabin pets, no health certificate is needed.
- One flyer is eligible for carrying only one pet as a carry-on. So, even if you make the reservation for the first class, you can still take along only one pet in the cabin. Travelers can find posts associated with pet travel on Reddit.
Does American Airlines accept Service Dogs?
American Airlines allow the flying of service dogs. Those who wish to carry them along must be aware of the American Airlines pet policy service dog. Furthermore, only trained service animals can fly in the cabin. In addition, it is compulsory to fill in and then submit the service animal air transportation form.
Persons with any physical, psychiatric, sensory, mental or any intellectual disability, but not limited to these:
- Visual impairments
- Mobility impairments
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Can take a service animal or dog with them. For more details, you can connect with an American Airlines agent and get the necessary information.
American Airlines Pets Check-in
According to the American Airlines pet policy 2023 for checked baggage, AA accepts pets who are serving active duty US military and US state department foreign service.
Two pets can travel as checked ones. However, their travel is possible only when they meet the requirements of age and health laid down by the destination they are traveling to.
The bookings for checked pets work on the basis of a first come, first serve. Thus, it is important to get the bookings done as soon as possible.
The points to follow while checking in your pet are as follows-
- Get in touch with the reservations team at least 48 hours before the departure time.
- Carry the official orders at the time of check-in at the airport.
- Present the health certificate to the American airline team
- Reach the airport at least 2-4 hours before the departure time of your flight.
American Airlines Pet in Cargo
American Airlines pet cargo services are also available for dogs, birds, cats, and other animals.
Furthermore, the airline will not ship dangerous breeds of dogs, unhealthy pets, and the ones that are banned in some countries.
As per the AA pet policy for cargo, these services are available for the continental USA, Canada, Honolulu, Puerto Rico, and for the destinations where the flight can reach within 12 hours.
The reservations for cargo should be made at least 10 days in advance.
Note- American Airlines currently does not allow the travel of emotional support pets.
Are There any Restrictions on Animal Breeds that can Fly with AA?
American Airlines pet policy for breed restrictions states the breeds which cannot travel with American Airlines. The mixed-breed animals are eligible to travel with this airline as checked baggage.
Here is the list of breeds that are banned-
- Lhasa Apso
- Boston Terrier
- Presa Canario
- Japanese Chin
- Cane Corso
- Pit Bull Terriers
- Tibetan Spaniel
- Dogue De Bordeaux
- Shih Tzu
- Shar Pei
- English Toy Spaniel
- Pit Bull
- Brussels Griffon
In addition, as per the American Airlines Pet Policy, people now have to fill in the breed verification form. Furthermore, this is required for all dogs and cats. So, whether you are looking for cargo or checked baggage, this form is important.
What are Carrier’s guidelines for pets?
It is a must-know about American Airlines pet carrier size-related rules and regulations to make air travel easy and hassle-free.
The points below state the carrier requirements for your pets. So, one must follow it.
- Firstly, for the pets who travel in the cabin, their carriers should be soft corners, and the dimensions should not be more than 18″ x 11″ x 11″.
- On the contrary, the dimensions should not be more than 19″ x 13″ x 9″ for the hard-sided carriers.
- Furthermore, the soft-sided carriers should be made of nylon and must have ventilation on at least two or more sides.
- The combined weight of the carrier and the pet should comply with the rules and regulations of the airline.
- The carrier should be made of wood, metal, or plastic and should be leak proof.
How Much is the American Airlines Pet Travel fee?
American Airlines have laid down a minimal and affordable cost for the travel of pets. This is done keeping in mind the budget of all flyers.
- The carry-on pet fee is $125. Furthermore, people need to check in at the counter when traveling with animals.
- Moreover, the airline does not charge any flight for the service animals.
Which destinations Allow Pets travel ?
You can travel with your favorite pets on most of the flights which are up to 12 hours long, The following locations permit the pets:
- The USA and Canada
- 48 States in the US
- St. Thomas
- St. Croix
- Puerto Rico
There might be some restrictions while you try and bring a pet along on American flights. Check the destination requirements thoroughly before you book a flight with your furry friends and plan accordingly.
The American airlines pet policy lets individuals travel with their pets. One does not have to leave behind their four legged babies when they decide to go on a trip. Reach your final destination with ease accompanied by your pet. Find detailed information on the policy here. Go ahead to contact the travel team at Tripohlz and book your pet travel services with ease.